Friday, April 30, 2010

Call me Hermana Yost!!

Um... wow... I can't believe I havn't blogged about my mission call! You would think - if there were anything worthy of blogging - it would be this. This is up there in the list of "most important's" in the life and world of Allie Yost. It's up there with getting into BYU, graduating from High School, if not way above both of these things.

Just as a precurser- let me tell you the process of applying to become a full-time missionary. There's a bunch of paperwork you have to fill out, get a physical, see the dentist, et. I then was interviewed by two church leaders. Then my "papers" were submitted to the General Authorities of the Church. For those who are not LDS (or Mormon), General Authorities are the Presiding leaders of our church. They include the Prophet and his two counselors, and 12 Apostles called to serve and lead the Mormon Church. They receive my "mission papers" and decide where I will be called to serve, and when I should be sent out, or report.

A missionary for women lasts for roughly 18 months - or a year and a half. During this period of time I am assigned to an area anywhere in the world to serve the people. The purpose of a missionary is to "Invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end".

So, during this last semester I submitted my "mission papers" and recieved what is known as a "mission call" to serve as a full-time missionary for the time period of 18 months. My initial (and probably only assignment) is to... drum roll please.... labor in the Peru Lima North Mission!!!!! I totally did NOT see that one coming!! Needless to say- I am so stoked! I couldn't be more excited to serve the people of Peru and more importantly my God.

I report to the MTC (Missionary Training Center) in Provo, UT on July 21st, and I will be there for a few weeks before I am shippped off on a plane to Peru. No, I do not speak spanish, and yes I will be learning the language (hopefully fluently- praying for that 'gift of tongues!').

I will blog more about my experiences preparing for my mission and will also be creating a special blog which my Dad will update while I am out on my mission with pictures, letters, etc.

For more information about missionaries, what they teach, or the Church visit www.mormon.org .

1 comment:

PJ said...

So excited for you Allie!! You are going to be so great!! :) Love you!