Sunday, July 27, 2008

I'm a Pioneer Woman!



So Pioneer day was this week! A few weeks ago the Primary president and one of her counselors of my family ward came up to Rebecca and I. They asked us if we would do the honor of acting out/ telling the story of the two girls who saved the book of commandments manuscripts in Illinois back in pioneer time. This is a popular pioneer story among Latter Day Saints, and we were to do it in front of kids from the ages of 4-11. Of course, Becca and I are far too eager and excited to do corny things like this we excitedly agreed to write a script and dress up in pioneer clothes. Two nights before the performance we started writing the script (being the good procrastinators that we are!), trying to make it as interesting and cheesy as possible, and wondering how we got roped into this in the first place!



I then borrowed some pioneer garb from some church friends in my family ward, and the next night we practiced it less than two times, and preformed it in front of the primary president and the same counselor. We couldn't even get through it all the way without laughing in between every other line! Then we preformed it for Becca's parents and again couldn't make it through without cracking up midway through the script! I spent the night at Becca's, woke up the next morning and threw on our pioneer fashion, and jumped in the car and drove off to the church. When we got to the church, the door which was supposed to be open for us was locked and we proceeded to walk around the outside of the chapel passing by a semi-big street, and lets just say we got some interesting looks, to say the least!


Then we found a way in, and snuck into the time machine, jumped out into the audience. Of course the first thing I heard was "Hi Allie", from Brick in the audience. I have the cutest little brother ever! We told our story complete with horrible attempts to southern broken accents, cheesy lines, over exaggerated expressions, and a few missed lines! But the kids seemed to like it! They were silent throughout our whole performance, and you can tell that some of them really bought into our characters! They were so cute! Then we jumped back into the time machine, not knowing we had to run out the back door. So we were kind of stuck in the time machine for the next twenty five minutes... Finally they let us out and we had a little photo shoot! We were the cutest pioneers EVER!




My mom did a little class for the primary kids too, so she dressed up as well! We were just a little pioneer family!


The rest of the day was spent shopping and watching a movie and so you think you can dance!


What a wonderful, and well spent day off!

4 comments:

theheadricks said...

Hi Allie-

I haven't talked to you in forever! I saw your sight on Carrie's blog and read it. I hope you don't mind. You look great, and I'm so happy to see that the gospel is still important to you. We had some fun times together. Say "hi" to your parents for me.

Rachel Headrick

theheadricks said...

So I had to make another comment... Are you so excited about Breaking Dawn this Friday? I'm going to Barnes and Nobles midnight party with some friends. I'm such a nerd.

The Martone Memories said...

So cute, I might have paid money to see that performance. Haha, I don't know where people actually find those clothes, I wouldn't even know where to begin.
PS-where's my picture, you know, camera, batteries, email to carrie!

Dan and Sherri Overton said...

Allie! I was so excited to find your blog on Carrie's page! I love your family and I can't believe everyone is so grown up!!! I swear I just left Ohio a few months ago! I live in Orange County now and I hear you guys do to, so we should get together since we are practically neighbors! Drop me an email and we'll figure it out! sherrioverton@yahoo.com. And check out our blog while you're at it! Love, Sister Farnsworth